The most important of the complex of shrines at Anandpur Sahib is Gurudwara Keshgarh
Sahib, which stands on the place where the "Khalsa" was born. It is regarded as one
of the five sacred "Takhats" or seats of Sikh religion. It is on the main Rupnagar-Nangal
road and one has to walk up a cobbled path to reach the shrine, built on the hillock.
Climbing up some steps, Darshani Deorhi has to be crossed first Then comes the large
open marbled quadrangle at the end of which steps lead up to the central shrine.
In the centre of the hall is a room displaying twelve weapons used by Guru Gobind
Singh in battle.
There is an imposing dome on the hall with a golden kalas on the top. A big serai
of about 200 rooms is also attached.
It was here in 1699, on the Baisakhi day (13th April), Tenth Master Guru Gobind Singh
Ji created Khalsa by baptizing five beloved Sikhs known as "Panj Piaras". At the
behest of the Guru, thousands of people had assembled on the hill where now Gurudwara
Keshgarh Sahib stands. The Guru appeared before the congregation with a naked sword
in his hand and told that his thirsty sword demanded the life of a volunteer. A deep
hush fell over the crowd. Ultimately, Daya Ram, a Khatri of Lahore came forward.
The Guru took him to a tent and returned with his sword with blood. He asked for
another head and Dharam Dass, a Jat from Delhi offered himself. Three more similar
calls brought out Mohakam Chand, a washerman of Dwarka,
Sahib Chand, a barber from Bidar and Himmat Rai, a water carrier from Jagan Nath
Puri. From the tent in which these five followers had been taken, Guru Gobind Singh
brought out the five Sikhs dressed in new clothes, blue turbaned with loose long
yellow shirts, a waist band round their waists, with sorts of Knicker-bockers worn
as underwears and with swords dangling by their sides. It was an inspiring sight.
The Guru told the congregation that these were his Five Beloved Sikhs (Panj Payaras),
and he baptized them by offering them Amrit (the nectar of immortality) he had prepared
by dissolving Sugar Bubbles (Patasa) in water sanctifying the sweetened water by
stirring it with double edged sword (khanda) and reciting the holy verses. The Guru
himself took the Amrit from the Panj Payaras, thus removing the distinction between
himself and followers. On that day, Guru Gobind Rai became Guru Gobind Singh. The
Panj Payaras were enjoined to embrace the five symbols of the new Sikh faith, Kes
(unshorn hair), Kangha (comb), Kara (steel bracelet), Kachha (short drawer) and Kirpan
(sword). The ceremony gave followers of Guru, a new identity which was to prepare
the Sikhs for their struggle against the Mughal State and influence the future of
Gurudwara Parivar Vichhora Sahib
Gurudwara Parivar Vichhora Sahib is situated adjacent to the canal near village Nangal
Sirsa, at a distance of about 14 Km from Rupnagar. It has a lofty flight of 84 steps
leading upto the top. Guru Gobind Singh along with his family and followers came
to this place leaving the Fort of Anandpur Sahib, He had not yet reached the bank
of the Sirsa River, 15 Km to the east when he was attacked by a strong contingent
under Wazir Khan, the Governer of Sirhind. When the Guru was heavily engaged, another
detachment of the Mughals delivered an assault on the first batch halting on the
river bank. A fierce battle took place here in which most of Guru's followers lost
their lives. It is the place where Guru was separated from his family and then proceeded
towards Kotla Nihang along with his two elder sons and 40 followers. The Guru's mother
and his two younger sons were taken by Gangu, an old domestic servant of the family
to his native village, Saheri near Morinda. Mata Sunderi and Mata Sahib Devi, the
wives of the Guru were taken to Delhi in the guise of rustic women. A gurudwara called
Parivar Vichhora Sahib marks the site where the family of the Guru was separated.
The construction of the gurudwara was started in 1963 and completed in 1975. A big
fair lasting for three days is held here annually in the month of December.
Gurudwara Bhatta Sahib
Gurudwara Bhatta Sahib is situated in the village Kotla Nihang, at the outskirts
of Rupnagar town. It was built in the memory of Guru Gobind Singh. After leaving
Anandpur Sahib, the Guru pursued by the enemy reached Kotla Nihang and asked the
Pathans there to give him shelter. The latter, jestingly pointed out to a lime-kiln
as the only fit place for him to stay. The story goes that the Guru led his horse
straight to the kiln and on his approach,
the fire miraculously went out. The Pathans hearing of this miracle invited the Guru
to their house. The Guru gave them certain gifts (weapons) and left for Chamkaur
Sahib the next day unknown to his pursuers. The Gurudwara was built at the site of
the kiln by Baba Jiwan Singh in 1914.
A silver sword, a kitar and a dhal gifted by the Guru to the Pathans are preserved
in the Gurudwara. A fair is held here on 11 Bhadon (August) on the death anniversary
of Baba Jiwan Singh. Besides, afair is held here on 2-4 Poh (December) when large
number of people visit the place.
Gurdwara Sadabarat is situated on Nangal Road. It is said to have been built in 1930
. The place where now Gurudwara Sada Barat stands was an important halting place
for the merchants and other travellers coming from and going to hilly areas. It is
said that even Guru nanak Dev stayed at this place while returning from Kiratpur
Sahib after meeting Baba Buddan Shah there. Later on Guru Hargobind halted at this
place while proceeding from Kartarpur to Kiratpur Sahib.. Thereafter, Guru Har Rai
and Guru Har Kishan, Guru Tegh Bahadur and Guru Gobind Singh also frequently visited
Keeping in view the importance of the place, Raja Bhup Singh, the ruler of Ropar
started LANGAR (Community Kitchen) which was server day and night to the visitors.,
and as such this place came to be known as Gurudwara Sada Barat.. The raised platform
from where Raja Bhup Singh himself used to serve food to the people still exists.
A big festival is held here annually on the occasion of Lohri-Maghi in the month
Jateshwar Mahadev Temple, Jatwahar
Popularly known as Shiv Mandir, the ancient temple of Jateshwar Mahadev is situated
in the village Jatwahr which is about 6 kms from village Bains on the Rupnagar-Nurpur
Bedi road.The antiquity of the temple according to local tradition goes back to the
remote past. But the present building does not seem to be more than 100 years old.
It was built by one Jai Dayal Sharma, a resident of the village Takhatgarh. There
is clear evidence of an earlier temple at the site, in the remains four carved pillars
of sandstone can be attributed to about 10th-11th century. There is also a mound
near the temple which seems to belong to the medieval period.
The temple is held in great reverence and is visited by devotees from various parts
of Punjab and also from the adjoining states of Haryana and Himachal Pradesh. During
the month of Sawan (July-August), people visit the temple in large number every Monday.
Besides a fair is held every year on Shivratri in the month of Februray.
Bhakra Nangal Dam
Bhakra Dam which is situated at about 10 kms from Nangal, is one of the highest straight
gravity concrete dams in the world. The construction of the dam started in November,
1955.In its rear is formed a beautiful lake 'Gobind Sagar' named after Guru Gobind
Singh. It is 96 km in length with a gross storage capacity of 7.8 million acre feet
of water. On the downstream, the dam, is flanked by two power houses, one on either
side of the river satluj, each fitted with 5 generators, capable of producing a total
of 1050 MW of electricity.
Cafeteria has been provided at the top of the dam and also about 1 km upstream of
the dam. Water sports in Gobind Sagar have been added to make it a good tourist resort.
A motorable roda to link Bhakra with Shimla and Kulu valley via Naina Devi temple
and Bilaspur has been constructed and this has opened the interior of Himachal Pradesh
There is a subsidiary dam known as Nangal Dam which is 1000 feet long and 95 feet
high and is meant for diverting water into the Nangal Hydel Channel. In this way,
the Nangal Dam holds up the water of Satluj River coming from Bhakra Dam and forms
an artificial lake of 6 km length. The Nangal Hydel Channel including Nangal Dam
were constructed prior to 1954.
Situated on the banks of Sirhind Canal, Chamkaur Sahib is at a distance of 15 km
from Morinda and 16 km from Rupnagar. Guru Gobind Singh and his two elder sons and
40 followers had come to this place from Kotla Nihang with his pursuers close on
his heels. They came in the garden said to be of Raja Bidhi Chand, where now Gurudwara
Damdama Sahib stands. There are several Gurudwaras at this place marking the visits
and halts of Guru Gobind Singh.
Gurudwara Katalgarh Sahib also known as Gurudwara Shahidganj. Occupies a unique place
among all the Gurudwaras located at Chamkaur Sahib. It is built at the site where
Baba Ajit Singh and Baba Jhujhar Singh, elder sons of Guru along with his 37 followers
fell fighting against the Mughal Army.
Kiratpur Sahib Situated on the bank of river Sutlej, Kiratpur Sahib is at a distance
of about 10 km from Anandpur Sahib towards the south, on the Nangal-Rupnagar-Chandigarh
road. It is sacred to the Sikhs and they immerse the ashes of their dead at this
place. It has a long association with most of the Sikh Gurus. Guru Nanak Dev is said
to have visited this place when it was little more than a wilderness, Guru Hargobind,
the sixth Guru spent the last few years of his life here. There are several Gurudwara
at this place like Gurudwara Charan Kamal, Gurudwara Baba Gurditta, Tomb of Baba
Buddan Shah, Gurudwara Bavangarh, Gurudwara Pata Puri and Gurudwara Shish Mahal.
Morinda Morinda is situated on the state highway connecting Chandigarh and Ludhiana
and also on Sirhind -Nangal Railway line. It is a distance of about 25 KMs from the
district headquarters and 30 km from Chandigarh.
Morinda is an old town, which is believed to trace its name from Mor Jats. With the
lapse of time, it came to be known as Moran and then Morinda. It is also known as
Baganwala (the place of Gardens), because of numerous gardens of mango trees in the
area. Even though the mango growers have largely disappeared, many people of this
area continue to call it Baganwala.
In the middle of the town centre is an ancient gumbad believed to be of the time
of Aurangzeb. This is built of small bricks and has gates on all sides.
Gurudwara Shahid Ganj in Morinda was built in the memory of Baba Fateh Singh and
Baba Zorawar Singh, the younger sons of Guru Gobind Singh.First co-operative Sugar
Mill was also set up at Morinda to consume the sugarcane, which is a major crop of