The villagers of Lehal donated land for the modest Gurudwara built on this elevated
site, said to have been visited by Guru Teg Bahadur. The legend is that anyone who
prays at this Gurudwara is relieved of his suffering ('dukhniwaran'). A new bigger
building is now being constructed.
Maharaja Bhupinder Singh was inspired to build this temple and bring the 6-ft statue
of Kali from Bengal to Patiala. This large complex attracts devotees, Hindu and Sikh,
from distant places. A much older temple of Raj Rajeshwari is also situated in the
center of this complex.
Panj Bali Gurdwara
Nawab Saif Khan, an admirer of Guru Teg Bahadur, Commemorated the guru's visit by
building two gurudwaras, one inside the fort and the other across the road, now known
as Panch Bali Gurudwara.
This building was probably a guest house. It has an imposing gateway and two courtyards,
both with fountains and small tanks. A room in the first courtyard-with painted walls
and a gilt throne-was probably for semi -formal audience. A few pavilions are set
among painted walls on the upper storey. Facing each other across the courtyard are
two exquisite chambers, one painted and the other decorated with mirror work.
Jalau Khana and Sard Khana (Cool Room)
Both were much later constructions. The Jalau Khana is a small, two storeyed building
with a central hall in late Colonial style, where regalia were displayed. The Sard
Khan provided an escape from the summer heat. A deep well inside it acted as a wind
tunnel, bringing cool air into the ground-floor rooms and the basement. Outside,
there is a formal garden with waterways and fountains.
Lassi Khana (Kitchen)
Another small, two-storeyed building with a central courtyard and a well.It adjoins
the Ran-bass, and a passage links it to the Qila Androon. Local residents say that
at one time this kitchen had the capacity to serve nearly 35,000 people every day,
but following an economy drive, the Lassi Khana restricted itself to serving only
a modest 5,000 people.
The Samadhan, where Maharaja Rajinder Singh once built a garden, now holds cenotaphs
of erstwhile rulers, looked after by a mahant.
Baradari is the colonial area of Patiala. On one side of Mall road is the Baradari,
and on the other is the walled city. All along the vibrant Mall Road are fountains
and beautiful paved walkways, as well as goverment offices (all buildings conforming
to one architectural style), entertainment spots, including cinema theatres and the
Rajendra tank, and temples. (The Rajendra Tank is actually a large lake which once
attracted migratory birds in winters. Boating facilities are available here.)
Rajindera Kothi: Set in the heart of the Baradari Gardens, this late 19th Century
Palace built in colonial style by Maharaja Rajindra Singh till recently housed Punjab
States Archives. PUDA is planning to exploit this building as a potential Heritage
Intended to be the Administrative Secretariat of the princely state, this beautiful
building now houses the offices of the Punjab State Electricity Board.
Sheesh Mahal and Museum Maharaja Narendra Singh was a great patron of literature,
music and fine arts. He invited many painters from Kangra and Rajasthan to paint
the walls of Sheesh Mahal. Their works depicting the vision in poetry of Keshav,
Surdas and Bihari, both in line and colour, are a treat to the eye of the beholder.
The themes of these paintings embrace mythology, legends, Raga-Ragni, Nayak-Nayika
and Bara-masa in Rajasthani style. These walls and ceilings are also rich in floral
designs. The interior casts a Kaleidoscope phantasmagoria of myriad images and multi-coloured
lights. The museum has a rich collection of miniature paintings of the middle of
19th century. Themes of these paintings are based on the Geet Gobinda or Jaya Deva's
poetry. The Kangra paintings depicting the, Krishan Lila reflect the highest professional
and delicate taste. Paintings displaying the Raga-mala of the Rajasthan schools and
that of the Mughal give a visual meaning to the Ragas.
Besides miniature paintings, there are fine objects of Tibetan art particularly the
sculpture of different kinds of metals. Ivory carvings of Punjab, royal wooden carved
furniture, and a large number of Burmese and Kashmiri carved objects are also exhibited.
One can see the huge portraits of the rulers of Patiala adorning the walls of museum
hall. Some of the rare manuscripts can be seen here. Beside Janamsakhi and Jain manuscripts,
the most valuable possession is the Gulistan-Bostan by Sheikh Sadi of Shiraz, which
was acquired by the Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan for his personal library.
Medal Gallery set up in the Sheesh Mahal has on display the largest number of medals
and decorations in the world, numbering 3,200. Collected by Maharaja Bhupinder Singh
from all over the world, his illustrious son Maharaja Yadvindra Singh gifted the
entire priceless collection to the Punjab Government Museum. Among the most important,
one may mention The Order of the Garter (England) of 1348 A.D., The Order of the
Golden Fleece (Austria) founded in 1430 A.D. The Order of St. Andrews (Russia) founded
in 1688 by Peter the Great; The Order of the Rising Sun (Japan) and Order of the
Double Dragon (China) and The Order of the White Elephant (Thailand). The collection
contains medals from Belgium, Denmark, Finland and host of other countries of Africa
On the advice of the Europeans, Maharaja Ranjit Singh and Maharaja Dalip Singh also
issued medals, which are studded with precious stones. Some of them display miniature
paintings of the Maharaja in profile in the centre. Inspired by his hobby, Maharaja
Bhupinder Singh instituted Orders and Decorations, which carry portraits of Guru
Gobind Singh, Radha Krishan etc. These medals reflect religion, culture and art of
many countries in metal and are great sources of history.
Besides medals, there is a rare collection of coins. This numismatic collection presents
a vast range from the punch-marked coins to those issued by the princely states in
the 19th century. It is a total numismatic history reflecting upon country's trade,
commerce, science and metallurgy.
The Qila Mubarak complex stands in 10-acre ground in the heart of the city, and contains
the main palace or Qila Androon (literally,'inner fort'), the guesthouse or Ran Baas
and the Darbar Hall. Outside the Qila are the Darshani Gate, a Shiva temple, and
bazaar shops, which border the streets that run around the Qila and sell precious
ornaments, colorful hand-woven fabrics, 'jootis' and bright 'Parandis'.
The Qila Mubarak was first developed as a mud fort or Kachi Garhi. Baba Ala Singh
constructed the Pacca Qila after his conquest of Sirhind. From the receipts of the
octroi on the merchandise passing through his territory of the G.T. road, he constructed
the Qila. Ala Singh built the present Qila is divided into two parts- one, the Qila
Androon, the interior portion. Situated on a mound, it ascends as one moves into
it. While the other i.e., between the Qila Androon and outer walls with the secretariat
on the left and Darbar Hall on the right, was built by Maharaja Karam Singh.
The Darbar Hall is now converted into a mini museum where rare arms and armours including
a sword of Nadir Shah known as 'Shikar Gah' are on display. Most precious pieces
of art are the rich collection of tree-like chandeliers made of Bohemian cut-glass
emitting prism like radiant splendour and sheen. To those interested in metallurgy
and guns, a visit to the Cannon Park within the premises of the Qila Mubarak would
certainly be a thrilling experience of lifetime. The murals inside the palaces are
rare specimen of the Kangra and Rajasthan paintings.
The entrance is through an imposing gate. The architectural style of this palace
is a synthesis of late Mughal and Rajasthani. The complex has 10 courtyards along
the north - south axis and each courtyard is unique in size and character, some being
broad, others very small and still others mere slits in the fabric of building. Though
the Androon is a single interconnected building, it is spoken of as a series of palaces.
Each set of rooms makes a cluster around a courtyard, and each carries a name: Sheesh
Mahal, Toshakhana, Jalau Khana, Chand Mahal, Rang Mahal, Treasury and Prison. Ten
of the rooms are painted with frescoes, or decorated intricately with mirror and
gilt. In a tiny portion of the complex is a little British construction with Gothic
arches, fire places made of marble and built-in toilets perched on the Mughal Rajasthani
roof!. Burj Baba Ala Singh even today has a fire smoldering ever since the time of
Baba Ala Singh, along with a flame brought by him from Jwalaji.
Used for large audiences and important public occasions, the Darbar has been converted
into a museum displaying dazzling chandeliers and armor, including the sword and
dagger of Guru Gobind Singh and Nadir Shah's sword. The hall was built on a high
plinth over a network of tunnels, which were service conduits. The facade gives the
impression of a double-storey building, with 'upper storey' windows and a balcony
at the first floor level, but the delicately worked wood-and-glass doors open into
a huge 15m-high chamber. At the far end is a raised platform, where the Maharaja
sat. The wooden framework of the ceiling holds decorated Plaster-of Paris tiles painted
in Arabic style and the ceiling is hung with a fabled collection of chandeliers.
Moti Bagh Palace
The next great architectural landmark is the Moti Bagh Palace constructed in 1847
by Maharaja Narendra Singh at a cost of Rs. 5 lakhs; Maharaja Narendra Singh was
as great a builder as Swai Jai Singh of Jaipur. The Moti Bagh Palace was designed
on the pattern of Shalimar Gardens of Lahore with terraces, water channels, Sheesh
Mahal and beautiful garden. It is a four storeyed structure with massive stonewalls,
arched openings, filtered and ornamental grills and crowning domes.
The rear part of the palace has been developed into an amusement park, which offers
many attractions to the young and the old alike. In the foreground of the Sheesh
Mahal, there is a huge tank with two towers on both sides. Along with it is the suspended
rope bridge popularly known as Lakshman Jhula, which connects the palace with the
Bansar Ghar housing the Natural History Gallery. Here the stuffed animals and birds
are displayed. The rest of the palace now houses the most prestigious Subhash Chander
Bose National Institute of Sports.
Lachman Jhoola Across the small Lake in front of Sheesh Mahal is a magnificent suspension
bridge which being a replica of the famous Lakshman Jhoola at Rishikesh, is also
named as Lachman Jhoola. It links the Sheesh Mahal with the Banasar Ghar on the other
side of the lake. The Banasar Ghar now houses the North Zone Cultural Center and
a hall for setting up exhibitions.
Mai Ji Di Saraan It is an interesting monument, which was originally built as a saraan
to provide a resting place for the weary travelers. It speaks of the legendary service
to humanity of Mai Aas Kaur. This monument now houses the criminal investigation
Situated in the north of the old Patiala city, just outside the Sheranwala Gate,
the Baradari Gardens is built around the Baradari Palace constructed as a residence
for the crown Prince Rajinder Singh. A great lover of nature, the crown Prince brought
all kinds of saplings of rare trees and planted them here in the garden. The huge
fruit trees, the Fern House and the Rock Garden stand testimony to his interest.
The Baradari Palace now houses the Punjab State Archives, a repository of rare documents
of historical importance.
Barandari Cricket Stadium This cricket ground, which is now more than 100 years old,
is one of the finest grounds with arguably the greenest cover around it, set amidst
the sylvan Barandari Gardens.
Government Mohindra College
Maharaja Mahendra Singh was a great patron of modern education. He established this
college in 1870 for the people of Patiala. Its building is a wonderful piece of architecture.
Famous for its architectural excellence, the institution for a long time was the
only one between Delhi and Lahore. Serving as a major institution of higher education,
many students from neighbouring states and as far as Delhi used to come to Patiala
for receiving education.
At a distance of one and half kilometer from the main gate of Punjabi University,
It is named so to commemorate the holy memory of Guru Tegh Bahadur who paid visit
to this place at the invitation of another holy person Saif Khan. The four wails
of the fort enclose the village Saifabad located on the left side of the Rajpura-Patiala
Road. Saif Khan, a relative of the Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb, after holding several
important offices, became a hermit and settled down here. After his death he was
buried here. His tomb behind the fort, a structure of 177 x 177 ft. is in a state
of neglect. Notwithstanding this, his followers still lit a lamp on the tomb every
Thursday. The two inscriptions in the fort testify that the village and the mosque
were founded in 1668 during the reign of Aurangzeb. As the tradition goes, Nawab
Saif Khan was a great admirer of Guru Teg Bahadur. He invited him to spend rainy
season here. His visit is commemorated by two gurdwaras- One inside the fort and
the other outside across the road. It is famous as Maharaja Karam Singh constructed
Panj Bali Gurdwara.The Bahadurgarh Fort during 1837-45 at a cost of Rs. 10, 00,000.
Its circumference is one mile, 536 yards and 2 feet.