Home

Punjabispot.com © Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Home.

About Muktsar.

Announcement & News.

Attractions.

Shopping Guide.

Hotels & Accomodation.

How to Reach.

Home.
About Muktsar.
Announcement & News.
Attractions.
Shopping Guide.
Hotels & Accomodation.
How to Reach.
Back to Main Page.
Tourist Sights & Attractions

Gurudwara Tibbi Sahib
Marking the sandy mound from where Guru Gobind Singh had showered arrows on the enemy during the. battle, was first established as a modest structure during the eighteenth century, and reconstructed in 1843 by Sodhi Man Singh of ManSinghvala. The present building, which came up during the 1950's under the supervision of Baba Baghel Singh, a follower of Sant Gurmukh Singh, is a square hall with the sanctum in the centre. Above the sanctum is a square pavilion topped by a lotus dome and decorative marble kiosks at corners. The entire wall surface including the dome is lined with white marble. The floor in and around the hall is also marbletopped.

 

Gurudwara Rakabsar Sahib
200 metre east of Gurdwara TibbI Sahib, was also constructed by Baba Baghel Singh during the 1950's. According to local tradition, as Guru Gobind Singh came down from the tibbi and was going to mount his horse, the stirrup {rakdb, in Punjabi) snapped. Hence the name of the shrine.

The control of Sri Darbar Sahib and other shrines in Muktsar, initially in the hands of hereditary mahants or priests, passed to the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee in February 1923. The major annual celebration is on the Maghi day (midJanuary) when vast numbers of devotees throng the premises from all over for ablutions in the holy pool and to attend religious divans.

 

 

Gurudwara Tambu Sahib
Near the southeastern corner of the sarovar, marks the spot where the muktds took position behind trees and shrubs which they camouflaged to look like tents {tambu, in Punjabi). The present building, which replaced the old one built at the initiative of Maharaja Mohinder Singh of Patiala (185276), was constructed through kdrsevd during the 1980's. It comprises a high ceillinged domed hall, with a gallery at midheight and the sanctum in the centre.

 

Gurudwara Shahidganj Sahib
Also called Arigitha (lit. pyre) Sahib, about 50 metres west of the sarovar, marking the spot where the bodies of the martyrs were cremated by Guru Gobind Singh, was first built in 1870 by Raja Wazir Singh of Faridkot (1828 - 72). The new building, a rectangular domed hall, was reconstructed through kdrsevd during the 1980's.

 

Sri Darbar Sahib
The principal shrine at Muktsar, is on the western bank of the sarovar and was the earliest to be established by the first few Sikh families who had settled here around 1743. Additions to the building were carried out by Bhai Desu Singh and Bhai Lal Singh, chiefs of Kaithal, and later by Sardar Hari Singh Nalva (1791 = 1837), one of Maharaja Ranjit Singh's army generals. During the 1930's Sant Gurmukh Singh Karsevavale and Sant Sadhu Singh renovated the building. They marblepanelled its walls, added decorative domes on top and paved the floor in and around it with marble. This edifice was, however, pulled down by his followers for reconstruction during the 1980's. A high tower and flagpost close to the Darbar Sahib were raised by Maharaja Hira Singh of Nabha (1843 - 1911) during the 1880's. An old van tree believed to have existed since before the battle of Muktsar still stands between the Divan Asthan and the Nishan Sahib.

 

 

Some other places of Interest

 

There is a beautiful old mosque called Angooran Wali maseet situated near Railway Station at Muktsar. One historical Gurdwara Guptsar Sahib is situated at village Chhatteana in Gidderbaha tehsilat about 24 Kms from Muktsar. Some historical Gurdwara at Rupana, Gurusar, Faqarsar & Bhundar are situated in Muktsar district.