The Clock Tower, the prime landmark of the city, has also come up as the representative
emblem of Ludhiana. The tower had been erected as a memorial to the silver jubilee
year of Queen Victoria’s regime. Although Giani Zail Singh, during his tenure as
the Chief Minister of the state, at the insistence of the town’s Jain community,
had re-christened it as Bhagwan Mahavir Clock Tower, obviously with political motives,
nobody knows it with any other name than Ghanta Ghar. Ludhiana City’s best icon Clock
Tower, popularly known as Ghanta Ghar, is more than 100 years old. It was on October
18, 1906, that the Victoria Memorial Clock Tower, Ludhiana, was inaugurated by the
then Lt- Governor of Punjab and its dependencies, Sir Charles Montgomery along with
Deewan Tek Chand, the then Deputy Commissioner, Ludhiana. The rulers of the day had
chosen the spot for the tower keeping in mind the proximity of the business centre
and the railway station.
the Clock Tower had become an epicenter of various activities in the city. Besides
commercial activities, because of Chaura Bazar being nearby, a lot of political activity
would take place there. All political parties, even now, stage dharnas and demonstrations
around the tower so that the message is conveyed to maximum people who remain around.
Daresi Ground witnessed the Indian freedom struggle and even carried some part of
the movement in its lap. It also provided a pedestal to leaders like Pandit Jawaharlal
Nehru and Indira Gandhi, who addressed rallies of national importance from here.
The Hindi agitation movement is said to have been launched from here and for the
past so many decades, it has been ‘the place’ for several political rallies.
The reference is to Daresi Ground, located in Old Ludhiana. It is one of the largest
open spaces that has survived industrialization in this mega city and had immense
contribution in shaping the history of not only the state but also the country.
The over 500-year-old Lodhi Fort, constructed by Muslim ruler Sikander Lodhi on a
strategic location along the banks of the Sutlej in the city, has gone to rack and
ruin, thanks to the official apathy as well as the indifferent attitude of the city
residents towards it.
The once-strong citadel, basically a military fort, which withstood many an invader,
has crumbled under the onslaught of the elements in the last five centuries. The
process has been considerably hastened due to the lack of any protection offered
by the Ludhianvis. The Archaeological Survey of India has also not helped matters
by denying 'A Protected Monument' status to the fort even though a Supreme Court
order calls for bringing all over 100-year-old historically important buildings into
Mughal Sarai built by Sher Shah Suri in 17th century A.D, was a much sought-after
place for fatigued travellers during Mughal rule . The respite offered by the sarai
was unmatchable. But today, for a few inquisitive Ph.D. research scholars and several
Muslim devotees, the sarai carries little significance for the dwellers around. On
a casual visit to the place, one finds a small group of people playing cards, a fatigued
worker resting under the shade of a tree or a gardner working.
The Sarai is approximately 168 m. square enclosure of battlement walls with octagonal
bastion at each corner. There are imposing gateways in the centre on northern and
southern sides. The northern gate has only remains of floral designs while the southern
gate has flora and fauna paintings. Both gates are connected with a kachha pathway.
The northern and southern sides of the sarai has 20 rooms each whereas eastern and
western sides has 30 rooms each with a suite of three rooms in the centre.
Maharaja Ranjit Singh Fort Ludhiana
The Town of Phillaur in which this Fort is located owes its origin to a Sanghera
Jat Phul called the town after himself Phulnagar. Subsequently the Naru Rajputs under
Rai Shar whose territory extended from Mau to Selkiana occupied it & when his son
Rai Rattan Pal abandoned Mau & settled at Phillaur. The Jats Left the modern town
dates from the time of Shah Jahan (1627-1658 A.D.) when the sites covered with ruins
reoccupied having been selected for the erection of a Serai on the imperial line
of road from Delhi to Lahore, of its earlier history nothing of interest is recorded.
The fort was handed over to the Police Department it is now occupied by Punjab Police
Academy (formerly Police Training School established in January, 1892, it was raised
to the status of a college in April 1967) & the Finger Print Bureau was established
in August 1894 which has continued here since then.
Mosque Koom Kalan, Ludhiana
It is after 60 long years that the azan (the call to Muslims for prayers) has started
reverberating in the skies of this small hamlet. The doors of the mosque were opened
after local residents led by sarpanch Karnail Singh Kelly handed it over to the Al
Habib Charitable Trust on June 25 2007. Although there are no Punjabi Muslims living
in the village now, there are quite a number of others who have come here from Uttar
Pradesh and Bihar as labourers. They have now started offering five-time prayers
in the mosque regularly.
Battle of Aliwal – A War Memorial
An over 150-year-old monument, Flame of Memory, built by the British in memory of
the last Anglo-Sikh war, the Battle of Aliwal, stands abandoned at the outskirts
of Gora Hoor village near Aliwal, some 40 km from here. In spite of being declared
a protected monument in 1964 under the Punjab Ancient, Historical Monuments, Archaeological
sites and Remains Act, the memorial is dying a slow death for want of proper care
by the State Department of Archaeology and Conservation.Though constructed by the
British in 1846 in memory of more than 400 British soldiers who perished in the battle,
the monument also stands as an example of the bravery of the Sikh forces that fought
the British Army till the proverbial last drop of their blood.The original monument,
which had weakened considerably due to non-conservation, was destroyed in the eighties
during flash floods in the Sutlej River. After that the department got constructed
a new but a much smaller monument. Sadly, this too is now in a state of neglect waiting
for nature’s fury to bring it down.
Maharaja Ranjit Singh War Museum
This International level War Museum, located on GT Road, Ludhiana – Amritsar Highway
(NH-1), about 5 KM from Ludhiana Railway Station, near Hotel Amaltas, was instituted
in 1999 on a 4 acres plot with a few bare essentials, today stands strong. At the
very entrance stands a huge statue of maharaja Ranjit singh sitting proud and magnificent
on a throne. Towards the right and left of the statue one can find tanks, apec car,
anti-aircraft gun, car scout and an old sukhoi fighter aircraft, along with a massive
model of the ins vikrant. Walking up several steps one is lead into the entrance
hall, where on the right is a line of portraits of Punjabis, who have been awarded
the Paramvir Chakra, Mahavir Chakra and Vir Chakra. On the left is a line of portraits
of generals, admirals, and air chief marshals belonging to Punjab. Besides this,
the museum comprises several galleries. Many of these are still awaiting material
to be displayed.
Jassal's Art Gallery, Ludhiana
Jassal's Art Gallery gave the best in the world of art to its esteemed customers
- bringing the Fancy Artistic Frames, Photo Lamination, Wall Paintings & Gift Items.
With the great dedication of Mr.Daljit Singh Jassal & his team at Jassal's Art Gallery,
the gallery has now reached its overseas customers in different parts of the world.
The Museum of Rural life of Punjab
The whole credit for building up this museum goes to Dr. M.S. Randhawa, the first
Vice Chancellor of this University. It was he who conceived the idea and initiated
the project. He decided suitable design for the building and collected the old objects
from small ancient villages and towns like Sultanpur Lodhi, Rahon, Goindwal, Zira
The Museum of Rural life of Punjab in the campus of the Punjab Agricultural University
is one of the must-sees for any tourist of Punjab. This museum displays the Punjabi
Culture to its best. The PAU is perhaps, the only university in India to have a museum
The museum assumes much importance since the rural Punjab is changing fast. The old
traditions and customs, which were rampant till the last decade, are now losing their
stand with the intervention of the technology. Women fetching water in gaggars (the
bronze pot) from the village well are no more seen. Old bronze utensils are now antique
pieces. Spinning is no more done. Women do not embroider phulkari. In the fields
with the arrival of advanced technologies, the electric motors and pumps have replaced
the Dhingli and Charsa by mechanical threshers. All such traditional items, which
once lent charm to the Punjabi culture, are now nowhere to be seen. But the university
museum preserves them all for those who still want to cherish the old, lovely memories
as well as for those who are anxious to know about rural Punjab.
Guru Nanak Stadium It has been built at a cost of approx. Rs.15.4 crore. It is flood
lit and has a capacity for 1500 spectators. There is a provision of 8 lane synthetic
track with a two lane warming up track. The track conforms to international standards
for conduct of any national or international meet. It has a well-maintained football
ground which hosts the Annual National Football League (NFL) matches.
Tiger Safari (Zoo) Zoo in Ludhiana known as Tiger Safari is situated on GT Road (Ludhiana-Jalandhar
Highway); it is 6 kms from the main city. Tiger Safari here is stretched out on 25
acres. Since tigers have delighted 1993 people here, black bucks, sambhars, rabbits
and lots of peacocks in the safari. Majestic tigers roaming about in the dense jungle
offer a thrilling experience.
The visitors visit Tiger Safari, War Museum and Hardy’s World in one round. Watching
tigers basking in the sun amuses the visitors. It is indeed good picnic spot. Yet
not many people visit it on the weekdays.
Gurudwara Shrimanji Sahib Alamgir
Situated 10 Km from Ludhiana, the gurudwara commemorates the place where the Muslim
devotees Nabi Khan and Ghani Khan had carried Guru Gobind Singh to safety during
the battle. Guru Gobind Singh (1666-1708), the last of the Sikh Gurus, transformed
the pacifist Sikh sect into a martial community. He introduced rites of initiation
into well-organised Sikh army known as the 'Khalsa'. There is a tank where it is
believed that the Guruji had shot an arrow into the parched earth to pierce a sub-terrain
stream of water. A fair is held there in every December.
The fort to the north-west of Ludhiana includes the shrine of Pir-I-Dastgir, also
known as Abdul Kadir Galani which draws both Hindu and Muslim pilgrims.
Christian Medical college
Established in 1895, Christian Medical College was the first school of medicine in
Asia. This college has a partnership with CMC in Vellore. Both these colleges together
form one of the South Asia's major teaching and research hospitals.
Mosque of Kamal-ud-din Khan/Sarai Doraha on the main highway, dates back to Emperor
Jahangir's time. Rectangular in shape it has rooms and varandahs on all sides. Two
great double storied gates are profusely decorated with coloured tiles and intricate
Mausoleum of Alawal Khan built during Shah Jehan's reign is octagonal in shape, surmounted
by double pear shaped dome. The tomb of Bahadur Khan has sloping walls.Tomb of Husain
Khan is 2 storied tomb.
Gurudwara Charan Kamal This Gurudwara situated in village Machhiwara, 35 km from Ludhiana,
commemorates the place where Sri Guru Gobind Singh had rested while fighting a guerrilla
war against a massive Mughal force.
Gurudwara Nanaksar Jagraon It is located 38 km from Ludhiana, a remarkable memorial
of the Sikh Saint, Baba Nand Singh Kaleranwale. A five days fair is held here in
his memory in August every year.